I’ve been intrigued by dyeing with food dye since the day someone brought the concept up during a luncheon at work. I bought some icing dye and thought I’d give it a go. My mom made cakes when I was a kid so I have used a lot of dye to color icing. I went to Michaels and bought dye with a coupon. This dye was a little different, it’s gel and not the paste I’m used to.
We had a nor’easter on Wednesday so since I planned to be home, thought I’d dig out some old yarn and give it a try.
I wound it into a hank and let it soak in the crockpot with 1 cup vinegar for 2 hours on high. Then, I mixed the dyes with hot water. 1/16 tsp to 1/2 water.
I added the colors one and a time and cooked for 1 hr on high.
After which, I thought it was a little bland and added another cup of violet. I added 1/4 tsp to 1/2 water. Pour it in and cooked it for another hour.
I let it cool. Rinsed it, and let it dry. I’m happy with my results.
This is a worsted weight, 124 yards. It’s not a lot of yarn but I have already planned my next dying day.